Saturday, August 8, 2009

Let the child take the wheel again

I am 12 years old. I love staying in grandma’s house and I am here almost every weekend. I always go hill walking, sometimes with my cousins, sometimes alone. But I prefer going there alone. I am not afraid cos’ I am familiar with the path and I know what I want to do up there. I usually walk slowly but sometimes faster. When I am walking faster, my aunt would shout from grandma’s house telling me to walk slowly so that I can catch my breath. But the reason I walk faster is because I can’t wait to feel the air breezing up on the hill. It is really warm down here. On my way up, I sweep the leaves on the pathway with the stick that I have picked up earlier near grandma’s house, so that I can have a smooth walk home later. It’s so fun!

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………......................


I’m 30 years old. I’d like to find time to stay in grandma’s house again. I miss being in the village. It’s been years since I last stayed overnight with aunty. And I definitely miss grandma the most, I know the Lord is resting her in peace now. I was at the village 2 months ago. I sat on the stairs overlooking the hill that I used to walk up when I was 12. I’d love to walk up there again and see the changes. I’m sure there are changes. But woohoo it’s too long of a journey, I’m too tired to walk. What if the path changed and I couldn’t find my way up? Impossible, the path will always remain there. Is the giant mango tree still there? What about the elephant rocks? It’s better to have companions to go up there. Maybe I’ll do that next week, right now I’m tired. But I really wonder the condition up there…


Let the child in us take the wheel once in a while…we never know what we will see and feel again…

Children of Kg. Tampasak, Tongod, Sabah

2 comments:

Man-D said...

wow... nicely written...

jadi, nanti sa ksh kawan ko p balik kg. k.. and ksh kawan ko p naik bukit (tp klu ko mo p saturang, tiapalah... he he he)

Linda said...

ok sa mau sa mau..kita pg nti k.. yeehaa!

A true story of courage

There was no expression on Teacher James’ face. He distributed the classroom work for us to do. It was Bahasa Melayu class and we get to...